July 20-26th. – Drowning Prevention Week
National Drowning Prevention Week (NDPW) is from July 20-26, 2014. The event increases awareness, across Canada, of the need for drowning prevention.
Everyday Canadians make safe choices around water and ice, your encouraged to learn more on how to protect yourself and others by accessing expertise, programs and services available to you.
Tips to help ensure a safe summer:
– make sure everyone in the family can achieve the Canadian Swim to Survive standard, including being able to surface after falling in deep water, tread water for one minute, and swim 50 metres
– take a lifesaving course and learn how to reduce the risk of drowning
– teach children to swim and be comfortable around water
– always wear a life jacket or personal flotation device (PFD) when boating
– do not consume alcohol while swimming or operating a boat
– keep children within arms’ reach when near water and, whenever possible, swim in an area supervised by a lifeguard