The province is reporting 90 new cases of COVID-19 today, including 17 in the Eastern Zone that includes Cape Breton.
64 of the new cases are in the Central Zone while seven are in the Northern Zone and two are in the Western Zone.
The number of confirmed active cases in the province has gone down to 1,345 with 180 recoveries reported today.
However, the number of hospitalizations has gone up to 103, including 25 people in intensive care.
There’s now a total of 128 confirmed active cases of COVID-19 in the Cape Breton County Community Health Network and five in the Inverness, Victoria and Richmond Community Health Network.
Premier Iain Rankin and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang are scheduled to give another COVID-19 update at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon.
Public Health says it’s temporarily suspending calls to close contacts of COVID-19 cases after their 14-day quarantine.
Close contacts had been getting calls to confirm they can end their quarantine.
However, Public Health says with the recent surge in COVID-19 cases there are now several thousand close contacts waiting for that call and there’s not enough capacity to call all of them.
It says, effective immediately, people can stop quarantining if they’ve completed their 14 days, done all required testing, have not been re-exposed to the virus and are not showing any symptoms.
The federal government has announced a $2.5 million loan for Ski Cape Smokey to help it develop into a year-round tourism business.
The money will be put toward work on a new gondola lift, a tree walk, and upgrades to the ski hill.
The project is expected to create up to 85 permanent jobs in Ingonish.
The loan comes through ACOA’s Regional Economic Growth Through Innovation Program.
Public Health is warning about potential exposure to COVID-19 at three Sydney area businesses.
New exposure warnings have been issued for the Walmart stores.
There was potential exposure at the Walmart in Sydney River between 1:15 and 3:00 in the afternoon on May 14th.
And Public Health says people could have been exposed to the virus at the Walmart on the Sydney Port Access Road between 8:00 in the morning and 4:30 in the afternoon on May 15th.
Finally, there was potential exposure at the Membertou Chicken & Deli inside the Membertou Market.
The exposure times there are between 10:30 in the morning and 1:00 in the afternoon on May 11 and between 10:30 in the morning and 7:30 at night on May 12th.
Anyone who worked at or visited the businesses at those dates and times is asked to book a COVID-19 test, even if they don’t have symptoms.
Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang is asking people in Sydney to get a COVID-19 test as cases rise in the area.
Of the 91 new cases reported today, 17 are in the Eastern Zone that includes Cape Breton.
The province’s confirmed active case count is down to 1,435 today from 1,531 yesterday and 187 recoveries are being reported.
However, the number of hospitalizations has gone up from 92 to 95 and 21 of those people are in intensive care.
There’s now a total of 119 confirmed active cases of COVID-19 in the Cape Breton County Community Health Network and nine in the Inverness, Victoria and Richmond Community Health Network.