Cottage Opening Checklist
Getting away from the city is a great way to relax. If you are heading to the cottage this season, take the time to follow simple safety procedures to help you make the most of your vacation.
- Visually inspect the power lines leading into your cottage. Report any damage to your local utility and have it repaired before activating your service.
- Inspect indoor and outdoor wiring for damage from mice and other rodents. Have an electrician repair any damage.
- Have propane appliances like stoves, refrigerators and heaters inspected and repaired (if necessary) by a qualified technician.
- Replace old appliances with new ones that include safety features.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and replace the batteries at the start of the season.
- Install a fully charged fire extinguisher in a visible place and make sure everybody knows how to use it.
- Clean up rubbish and fallen leaves and branches.
- Dispose of old cleaning solvents and fuels at a hazardous waste distribution centre.
- Clean up your approved fire pit and cut back any branches or brush that may have grown too close.