Regional Police say a 48 year-old Sydney man suffered serious, life-threatening injuries after a single motor vehicle accident on Lingan Road, last night. They add the man was the only person inside the late model Dodge Caravan which suffered heavy damage. He was taken to the Regional Hospital and police say their investigation into the crash continues. Police say they got the call about the crash at around 11:30 and add the vehicle was headed into Sydney at the time.
A Sydney businessman has been committed to stand trial on a number of offences, including setting fire to his pizza shop. 28 year-old Chad Pierre Youssef is charged with three counts of arson relating to property damage to A1 Pizza on Charlotte Street and two vehicles. He also faces three counts of conspiracy to commit arson, three counts of mischief, three counts of arson for a fraudulent purpose and a single count of careless storage of weapon. A1 Pizza burned on Feb. 11 of last year, a few months after opening. The pizza shop suffered mainly smoke and water damage because the building’s sprinkler system was activated. Youssef was among four people charged in connection with the fires. He continues his release on conditions and is scheduled back in court on March 9 to set a trial date on the charges.
RCMP have released the name of the Sydney man who died in a motor vehicle accident in Antigonish County last week. 48 year-old Brian Glen Dove died after being airlifted to Halifax following a three-vehicle accident on Highway 104 in Monastery on Friday. The accident remains under investigation, though police say they’re not expecting to lay any charges.
The province said today that it’s providing 20,000 dollars in emergency funding to the Two Rivers Wildlife Park near Marion Bridge. That matches the amount of funding announced late last month by the CBRM, which provided the money after the Park said that it required assistance to keep paying its staff. The province’s half of the emergency funding comes through the Department of Natural Resources. Speaking on behalf of Natural Resources Minister Zach Churchill, Economic Development Minister Michel Samson said today that the funding is a one-time arrangement that will allow the park to keep operating and help it to achieve self-sustainability. A Department of Natural Resources news release says that the province has provided the park with about 671,000 dollars since fiscal year 1998-99.
It’s Marlene Usher’s first day on the job as CEO of the new Port of Sydney Corporation. Last week, Regional Council approved Usher’s reassignment to the post from her job as acting director of general with the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency in Sydney. CBRM chief administrative officer Michael Merritt says the municipality created the job and hired Usher to offer “strategic guidance” and enhance marketing efforts for future port development. The Port Corporation will pay half of Usher’s 200-thousand dollar annual salary with ACOA picking up the other half. However, the CBRM will cover the Port Corporation’s share until the non-profit organization becomes financially viable. Usher begins her job today while uncertainty remains about the new governance structure at the Port of Sydney. The current chair of the existing Port Board Bruce Meloney says they have questions about the new entity and would like a chance to express their concerns. Regional Councillors will sit on the interim port board starting in April until a new board made up of community members and a Mi’kmaq representative is named next year.