World Kidney Day is March 8!
As part of National Kidney Month in March, World Kidney Day is a global awareness campaign aimed at raising awareness of the importance of our kidneys.
The Kidney Foundation encourages Canadians to take three simple steps during Kidney Health Month to improve the health of their kidneys:
- Control your blood sugar level and monitor your blood pressure. Diabetes and high blood pressure are the two leading causes of kidney failure.
- Eat healthy, keep your weight in check, and be active. This can reduce risk as you lower salt intake, increase fluid intake, and help prevent diabetes, heart disease and other conditions associated with kidney failure.
- Get your kidney function checked with a simple blood test, especially if you have one or more of the following at risk factors:
- High blood pressure
- Family history of kidney disease
- 55 years or older
- Aboriginal, Hispanic, Asian, South Asian, or African heritage