Northside General ER Open After Overnight Fire
The Nova Scotia Health Authority says that there’s a limited impact to services at the Northside General Hospital today after an overnight fire at the facility. The authority says that the fire broke out at around 4:30 this morning in a laundry room, triggering a fire alarm and sprinklers. There were no injuries, but the Health Authority says that there was fire damage to a small dryer room and smoke and water damage in the main laundry. The fire marshall’s office says that the fire was accidental and was caused by the spontaneous combustion of linen. The ER is now open, as is outpatient Blood Collection, which is located next to the Laundry, though outpatient blood/specimen collection has been temporarily relocated to a nearby room. The Health Authority says that laundry service will see some delays as staff clean up the affected area. An update is expected to be provided later today.