Welcome to The Coast 89.7 FM!

Coast Ad Artist of the Week
Coast Ad Listen Now
Coast Ad Top 10
Coast Ad Advertise
Coast Ad Bingo
Coast Ad Funds

Featured Articles

Norma MacDonald

Norma MacDonald, Artist of the Week

Runs June 29-July 3rd. Norma MacDonald is a singer-songwriter and avid biology nerd, born and raised in Cape Breton, now living in Halifax. She was raised on AM radio country stations and Willie Nelson cassettes […]

St. Ann’s Adventure

St. Ann’s Adventure

TUNE IN FROM JUNE 22ND TO JULY 9TH.  WHEN YOU CAN GET A CHANCE TO WIN A SUMMER ADVENTURE IN THE ST. ANN’S AREA. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LISTEN FOR YOUR CUE AND […]

Recreation M

Recreation Month

CPRA celebrates the month of June as Parks and Recreation Month.  We take this opportunity to recognize the contributions made in the parks and recreation sector, while encouraging Canadians to get out and be active […]

Home

Latest News from The Coast…


Mother and Son Charged in Reserve Mines Shooting

A Ben Eoin man will remain in custody while his mother has been released after both have been charged in connection to last Thursday’s fatal shooting in Reserve Mines.

24 year Brandon James Berthiaume has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of 24 year-old Brandon Kelly.

Berthiaume’s mother, 45 year-old Jennifer Lynn Chisholm faces a count of being an accessory after the fact in the case.

Berthiaume will remain in custody until his next court appearance on July 27th and is still looking for a lawyer to take his case.

Chisholm has been released on conditions including that she have no contact with her son or Jimmy Osmand Berthiaume.

She’s also due back in court on July 27th.

Court documents list a shotgun as the murder weapon and also accuse Brandon Berthiaume of the attempted of murder of Norman MacIntyre at the same time and place.

Regional Police say they searched Chisholm's workplace on Sunday and seized a number of items but have not yet found the firearm used in the shooting.

 

no comments


Family Doctor Shortage in Cape Breton

The Nova Scotia Health Authority is trying to recruit 13 family doctors for Cape Breton as the Island faces a shortage of family physicians. Health officials say half a dozen doctors have left Cape Breton or retired, and another six or seven will leave their practices within the next six to 18 months. That's left thousands of patients without a general practitioner. The health authority says it has a number of recruiting initiatives underway and is hopeful the positions will be filled. However, it also admits that’s going to take time. One of the initiatives is a medical resident program that brings medical students to Cape Breton to finish their training. After that, officials say some graduates decide to stay.

no comments


Suspect in Reserve Mines Fatal Shooting Arrested

Police have now arrested a suspect after fatal shooting in Reserve Mines, last night.   The add they man was picked up in Halifax, this morning.   Regional Police say they go the call to a home on Sydney Road at around 8:15 where they found a man in his late 20’s suffering from gunshot wounds.   Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.   Police had been searching for the suspect who they say fled the scene in a small red car.

no comments


36 At Sydney Co-op Warehouse Will Lose Jobs

 

36 workers in Sydney will lose their jobs after Co-op Atlantic announced plans to close its distribution warehouse in Cape Breton.

The move is part of a major downsizing after Co-op was placed under creditor protection.

Co-op plans to eliminate a total of 400 jobs across Atlantic Canada in the coming weeks as it closes its remaining retail food and gas operations.

The restructuring does not affect member-owned Co-ops or the Co-op Country Stores.

Co-op owes creditors $51 million.

It says the court order gives it more time to restructure its operations, which may include selling more assets beyond a recent deal with Sobeys.

As part of that deal, the Co-op gas station in Glace Bay will be re-branded under the Shell banner.

no comments


Sydney Legal Aid Office Losing A Lawyer

The Legal Aid office in Sydney will lose one criminal lawyer next Wednesday.

The provincial Legal Aid Commission says Allan Nicholson will not be replaced when he retires on that day.

Its internal operations director Joe Cameron says they’ve realigned their Sydney office and don’t need as many people.

Meanwhile, the managing lawyer at the Sydney office, Ann Marie MacInnes says the cut poses a challenge, but adds staff will do its best to meet the demand.

MacInnes says Nicholson’s approximately 150 to 200 case files will be spread among the office’s four remaining criminal lawyers.

NDP Justice Critic Maureen MacDonald says she’s disappointed to learn about the staff reduction in Sydney.

She adds she fears the cut will mean some people will go unrepresented.

 

no comments

What’s this ‘VIP’ thing about?

  • Very Interested People, interested in the needs & wants of our listeners
  • Very Informative Programming that people can relate to
  • Very Involved People, supporting your local artists and community groups

106 Reserve Street, Glace Bay, NS | Office: 902.849.4301 | On-Air: 902.563.5771 | Contact

Copyright © 2015 The Coast 89.7 (CKOA-FM) . All Rights Reserved.

Website Design by: RalphDillon.com