Smoke Detector Hailed As Lifesaver In Scotchtown Fire
The chief of the Scotchtown Volunteer Fire Department credits a smoke detector with saving a family of six, early yesterday morning.
Harold Williamson says the device woke the parents in the two-storey house at 21 King Street at around 12:30 in the morning after a pot was accidently left on the stove.
He adds they were then able to make their way to the second floor to rescue their children, who range in age from 11 years old to just four-weeks.
He goes on to say everyone was safely outside the house when firefighters arrived on the scene.
Williamson says the children were sent to the Regional Hospital to be checked out as a precaution because there was a lot of smoke in the house.
The kitchen was heavily damaged in the blaze while the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.
The family is temporarily staying with relatives in the area.