Deadline Extended for MV Miner Bidders
Provincial Transportation Minister Geoff MacLellan says he’s extended the deadline for companies to express interest in the MV Miner salvage.
The ship has been washed up on Scaterie Island since its tow line broke in September of 2011.
The original request for proposals was issued last month and the deadline was Wednesday.
But MacLellan says six companies interested in submitting bids have asked for more time to gather information such as environmental and health and safety requirements.
He adds they’ve been given a one-week extension.
MacLellan says he’s encouraged that 20 companies have expressed interest in bidding for the job because increased competition could benefit taxpayers when it comes to the cost of the ship’s removal.