The Liberal government has passed its controversial fracking legislation. Bill 6 passed yesterday with the support of the NDP. The bill extends a moratorium on high-volume hydraulic fracturing until the government can develop regulations and an onshore atlas of available natural gas resources. There’s an exemption in the bill that allows fracking for the purpose of research and testing. Energy Minister Andrew Younger said work is already underway on the onshore atlas as well as a regulatory review. The Tories voted against the bill, saying it prevents the province from developing its natural resources.
About a half-dozen Crown witnesses are expected to testify in Port Hawkesbury court today at the second degree murder trial of James Joseph Landry. 67-year-old Landry is the first of four people to be tried in the death of 43-year-old Phillip Boudreau. Yesterday, the Crown opened its case against Landry by saying Boudreau’s death on Petit-de-Grat harbour last year was murder for lobster. The Crown says Boudreau’s small boat was shot at four times and then rammed by the larger Twin Maggies fishing boat. It also claims that after Boudreau landed in the water, he was hooked with a gaffe and dragged out to sea by the Twin Maggies, where his body was weighed down by an anchor. Boudreau’s body has never been found despite extensive searches by police divers.
RCMP Cape Breton Traffic Services has charged a 29 year-old Bras d’Or man with stunting. Police say they clocked the vehicle driven by the man doing 171 km/hr in a 100-zone on the Trans Canada near Millville on Wednesday night. They add the driver was immediately suspended from driving for a week and has also had his vehicle seized for seven days. If convicted, he faces a fine of more than 24-hundred dollars.
The jury in the trial of the first of four people charged in the death of a Richmond County man will begin hearing evidence today. 67 year-old James Joseph Landry faces a count of second-degree murder in the case of 43 year-old Phillip Boudreau. A jury of seven women and six men, including an alternate, was finalized by mid-day yesterday at the Justice Centre in Port Hawkesbury. The 13 jurors were chosen from a pool of more than 200 people from Richmond and Inverness counties. Boudreau is missing and presumed dead after his overturned boat was found at the mouth of Petit de Grat Harbour in June of last year. RCMP say he was involved in an altercation with the crew on a fishing boat, earlier that morning. The Crown is expected to call up to 24 witnesses over the course of Landry’s trial. At least 10 days have been set aside for the trial.
Two of six people charged in connection with a brutal assault on a homeless man in North Sydney are due back in court today. 34 year-old James Darren Clarke from North Sydney is accused of hiding a wrench that police say was used in the attack. He’s also facing a charge of attempted murder in the case. 47 year-old Gordon William Bobbit from North Sydney is charged with obstruction of justice in the case and has already been released from custody on conditions. 48-year-old Shawn Curtis Jack suffered serious head injuries in the July attack and was sent to hospital in Halifax for treatment.